Wednesday, September 28, 2011

GRANDMA Tell Me About The Good Ole’ Days

“What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance.  They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life.  And, most importantly, cookies - Rudolph Giuliani”

Well in my case my Grandma was a master of the most amazing recipes BUT my all time favorites were Grill Cheese Sandwiches and Sloppy Joes.  I remember when Grandpa was still here, it was a weekly thing for my Mom and I to go to Grandpa and Grandma’s for dinner and though she was a master of many foods, we always requested Sloppy Joes.  Now granted my Grandma made them just as most of us using ‘Manwhich’ but I tell you what, you would have thought we were eating at a 5 star Sloppy Joe Joint (Don’t know if those exist, but you get me).  The buns were always toasted just right (and ALWAYS just the right size), and the mix just melted in your mouth.  Maybe because it came out of (which my cousins and I thought was a magic stove FOREVER), or just because it was from Grandma – but it has always been one of my favs!

Now that I make them for my family, I for the longest time also used Manwhich, but because of the “wanna make it all from scratch” kick, I found an easy recipe (courtesy of Cooks.com) and made them tonight for us – MMM!  Now of course as always, I always end up missing one key ingredient and this tonight being buns…BUT I compromised and toasted some bread and slapped on top with some cheese and a side of tater tots – Voila!

Homemade Sloppy Joes

Ingredients:

1 ½ lbs ground beef (< --- I substituted Ground Turkey)
1 Small onion Chopped
1 ½ tsp. salt
¾ tsp pepper
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 small can tomato sauce
1 small bell pepper

Directions:

1)       Brown ground beef and drain.
2)       Add onions, bell pepper then add all seasonings
3)       Add tomato sauce (rinse can and add a little water)
4)       Bring to boil, cut down heat then simmer for about 30 minutes

Hot Dog this was tasty!!!

Enjoy!

XO Lyndie


No comments:

Post a Comment