Monday, September 26, 2011

MMM! Meat!

With this weekend being such one that was full of memories, I thought of one of my favorite memories of growing up and that was my Mom’s Pot Roast. I remember (though when I was younger I Hated Left overs. I hated how all food looked, especially when it had any grease or gravy and it floated to the top and turned white. It especially happened with the gravy for the pot roast, and I refused to eat it the next day. Ugh! Yes, maybe a little spoiled – but just after seeing that “white stuff” on top, no matter that it would turn back to gravy once heated, I just couldn’t eat it.

My poor mom, she didn’t cook it in the crock pot as I do now a days, she actually browned it, made the gravy and cooked it in the conventional over checking on it every so often. She always whipped up delicious homemade potatoes as well – she was so good to me! And because I was a picky eater and up until almost junior high I ONLY craved beanie weenies, when my mom made a pot roast, it was something special. I remembered how the kitchen would smell, and I thought after such a great weekend of memories, I wanted to fill the house with the same smells from my home growing up.

I also made homemade mash potatoes (as I have said, I am usually an instant kinda gal) and Green Bean Casserole. For the casserole, I did not have any of the canned onions to mix and crush on top, so I got creative and made my own – I added recipe to that as well below 

Crock Pot Roast – Crock Pot Website:

Ingredients:

3 1/2 to 4 pounds boneless pot roast
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 carrots, chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 small onions, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
10 button mushrooms, sliced

Directions:

1) Trim all excess fat from the roast, brown and drain.
2) Combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper and coat meat with the flour mixture.
3) Place all vegetables except mushrooms in the Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker and top with the roast.
4) Spread mushrooms evenly over the top of the roast.
5) Cover and cook on Low for 10-12 hours or on High for 4-6 hours.
*** For me, I did not add mushrooms, but added ½ can of French Onion Soup & a Bag of Lipton French Onion Soup Mix ( GREAT Flavor)

Green Bean Casserole

Ingrediants:

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Request®)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Dash ground black pepper
4 cups cooked cut green beans
1 1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions

Directions:

1) Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
2) Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
3) Bake for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.

**** For the Homemade Fried onions -- Food Website


Ingrediants:

3 large onions, sliced thin
2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
oil (for frying)
salt




Directions:


1) Soak the onions in the milk for 5 minutes.
2) Heat the oil in a large skillet or deep fryer.
3) Take a handful of onions and run them through the flour with a fork to coat.
4) Fry in batches in the oil, stirring as needed to brown evenly.
5) Drain on paper towels and season to taste.


As always, I hope you enjoy and thank you JESUS above for allowing me to share one of my most ultimate comfort foods with others!

XO Lyndie



No comments:

Post a Comment