Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lasagna With A Twist!

“You can tell how long a couple has been married by whether they are on their first, second or third bottle of Tobasco - Bruce Bye”


Ha! I had to laugh at this because Mike and I love Ketchup and Hot Sauce on just about anything! It doesn’t always mean it needs it, just something we feel we have to have!

One of my favorite meals to make is lasagna. Over the years I have tried to make it several different ways; with sausage, hamburger, turkey meat. I have tried to incorporate different cheeses, different sauces and anything to change up the “same ole” recipe. Well it NEVER fails, I always go back to our comfort and make the same ole way I have for years, which in fact in our very favorite. I had a friend email me a while ago, and she said she had made lasagna and used all the same ingredients but traded the ricotta for cream cheese. Well I must say…It was absolutely fabulous!! It added a little tang that was just enough to make a difference, but yet you still felt you were eating your favorite homemade lasagna!

Ingredients:

*** 1 pound lean ground beef
1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
*** 32 ounces Ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons dried parsley
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
*** 9 lasagna noodles
*** I replaced the ricotta with cream cheese and for the noodles; I use the oven-ready.

Directions:

1) In a large skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef. Drain the grease. Add spaghetti sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
2) In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, eggs, half of the grated Parmesan cheese, dried parsley, salt and ground black pepper.
3) To assemble, in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish evenly spread 3/4 cup of the sauce mixture. Cover with 3 uncooked lasagna noodles, 1 3/4 cup of the cheese mixture, and 1/4 cup sauce. Repeat layers twice. Top with 3 noodles, remaining sauce, remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Add 1/2 cup water to the edges of the pan. Cover with aluminum foil.
4) Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.



I have to admit it was really good and as I said, it added just enough difference to notice, but it was a good change!

Hope you enjoy – and if you have any twists on an old-fashioned meal, please do share!!!

XO Lyndie




No comments:

Post a Comment